Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thank You

With only 28 days until I leave there is still much preparation I must do for my trip. I am at a point right now where I have never been more excited in my life to do something. I feel confident that going on this trip will be the most constructive and important thing I have done with my life so far and I am both happy and proud to be doing it.

I certainly have not made it this far alone and I must take some time to thank the people who have helped me get here. First should be my parents for funding my first trip and encouraging and supporting my decisions that are leading me to go to the third world and live the mountains instead of getting a job after graduation. I would like to thank St Philips On the Hill Anglican Church for 4 trips worth of clothing and toys. Anyone who has sent money to go either towards my personal trip for my many expenses or towards building supplies for the people in the Dominican. Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes for donating tools, they have all been taken down and have good 'homes' now. Everyone who helped with our many fundraisers donating time and energy you have really made a difference whether you worked tirelessly getting medical supplies, standing out in the cold selling roses, filling out long boring and confusing forms or just showed up for a party, so thank you all. Everyone who has been a part of the DREAMS club at McMaster it takes a special individual to want to spend free time hounding people for money for strangers and going to new places to build homes for people they may never see again, you guys are all superheros.

And finally a very big thank you to all the people who organize thigns at ADESJO and DREAMS who have paved the way for us and allowed us to be able to do things like this. You have made such a positive impact in the world for many people and not just those in the Dominican.

So with 4 weeks left have about 2500 dollars raised for our first trip. If things go well I estimate that number could hit over 3000 with one more big fundraiser. I recently did an interview with the local paper in my area hoping people will contact me about sending groups down to do work or sending money to ADESJO. We will have to see it will not come out until another week or two.

And that is it for now.... blog updated but I don't expect many mroe updates until right before I leave and then again when I find an internet connection in ocoa.

No comments: